Wednesday 18 July 2018

Single Malt Whisky of the month

For a couple of years I've been subscribing to The Whisky Club., which has been kicking on from strength to strength for four years now. Ostensibly free to join, it's an opt-out arrangement whereby a monthly whisky is offered, and if you don't want it, you follow the links and specify as much through the web site buttons.

I think it's a good arrangement. The monthly offer is always an interesting whisky - certainly hard to find through normal channels and, quite often, a specific barrel prepared for The Whisky Club itself. The trick of course is remember to read your emails at the start of the month, as you only have a couple of days to opt-out. You forget, you're up for a bottle plus freight.

But, generally, even with this oversight you're up for about $120-$140, which considering the standard on offer is pretty good.

Before I continue, if any reader is interested in joining, please email me first, as I will get a referral bonus for anyone I sign up, which takes the form of free whisky !

July 2018 has an interesting offer. Coming out of Brittany in northwest France, this is a fine example of how non-Scotch whisky is one of the growth areas in world spirits.

Armorik Small Batch Whisky de Bretagne, Lot F270 318 - American Oak.
The tasting notes describe it as Golden yellow, with elegant intensity of vanilla, peach, jasmine flowers.  I quickly note the American Oak, as it gives me flash-backs to my first experience with Jim Beam, as a 16 year old. While that incident need not be explored further, I hasten to add that my more recent bourbon experiences have, for the most part, been pleasurable.

As the malt opens up, the vanilla sweetness becomes more evident, with less oaky aromas. Not sure what jasmine smells like in this context, but peach I will go with, plus some light spiciness.  It promises a nice, light flavour and mouthfeel.

I taste fruit, maybe some green apple or pear, with a touch of spice - maybe nutmeg or light pepper. It's a delicate mouthfeel, without oiliness or the heaviness of a big oak influence.  Finishes quite tingly and dry.

I recall the late Michael Jackson (not the gloved one) describing certain lighter Scotch styles as 'breakfast malts'.  Far be it from me to judge the wisdom of this, I however could see this cutting nicely through some muesli and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment