Friday 27 July 2018

Pickled Nasturtium ?

Cabbages and related brassica are renowned for the healthy levels of sulfurous compounds called glucosinolates. This is what gives the spiciness in mustard and contributes to the funky aromas that come from sauerkraut.

Now, anyone familiar with Nasturtiums would know their similarity to mustard, with a peppery flavour that is well regarded in salads.

So... why not try fermented Nasturtium leaves ?  Should be like sauerkraut, yeah ?

Nup, forget it.  I gave these guys the usual treatment, and after a few weeks ended up with murky green mush in a fecal-brown fluid.

The overall impression is of a petrochemical refinery, with notes of burnt match head and hints of piggery as a bonus.  I forced myself a little taste, thinking if I didn't I might miss out on the next fad, but have decided that composted lawn clippings is not really my thing.

FAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment